Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Comic-Con Begins!

Today is Wednesday, Preview Night for Comic-Con International, San Diego.  (The con's official name.)  The table is set up, except for small tweaks.  I have to go to my "real" job until 1:00pm then pick up DH and off we go!  He is working as a high level staff person and I am an exhibitor.  A real family affair.

I feel blessed.  Not only do I get the fun and profit of being the "Madam" at The Massage Booth, but I also get to sell stuff off the table.  Some of the stuff I purchased for resale.  (I'm a middleman!)  I sell basic, inexpensive steampunk items to complete (or start!) your costume.  The real blessing, though, is that I also get to sell stuff that I made.  I knitted a whole bunch of hats over the last year, some for people, some for dolls.  Today I have them on display and ready for sale.  There is even a ball-jointed doll (BJD) meetup at the show where I can bring my models and a couple hats to show off.  I'm also bringing flyers.  I might get a sale or too from them.

Making money from knitting is a difficult thing.  You may make a beautiful lace shawl, with an elaborate pattern that took you weeks or months to make.  But you can't sell it for anything worth the time it took you to make it.  These little hats don't take very long so I can charge a price that reflects my time, materials, and the niche market they belong in.  If you paid $300 for your doll, you don't mind too much if you pay $50 for a gorgeous and unique hat for her.

Time to go!  It will be a distracting shift at work, then I can do the real job for the rest of the week.  Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment