Friday, August 27, 2010

I love to knit!

I love to knit!

There!  I said it.  Knitting is what I’d rather do than anything serious.  When I’m at my job, I think about knitting.  This is very distracting when filling in forms.  (I am a professional form-filler-inner in real life.)

Also, recently, the entrepreneur in me was reawakened.  How to make a living with knitting?  My wise friend, Dawn Devine, internationally known author www.davina.us, suggested that selling things that crafters use is the way to go.  You know, like the shopkeepers who sold shovels to the gold miners.  Hmm.  Time to publish those patterns I’ve been working on.  Stay tuned for developments in this area.

A few years ago the steampunk bug hit me and reignited my love of costuming.  For those of you who may not be familiar with steampunk, see the Wikipedia article here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk .  The short version is a Victorian/Edwardian era look that celebrates the science and adventure of the time, with lots of imagined machines run on steam.  Gears, clocks, keys, airships, and of course, goggles, are frequent themes and accessories.  And the sepia tones of the costumes evoke the faded photos from the time.  Little top hats and imaginative variations on historical styles are rampant.

Little top hats, you say?  Lara Breese has a delightful pattern for a Miniature Top Hat available for sale at her website darktwist.com and her etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/darktwist .  When I bought her pattern and started making them, it was like eating potato chips.  I couldn’t make just one!  12 hats and several variations later, I sold some of them at Comic-Con International, in San Diego.  www.Comic-con.org  What a kick!  More later on this continuing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment